Every dog owner knows that our furry friends can be curious eaters. Sometimes, this curiosity can land them in trouble. At Family Pet Medical Center, your trusted Fort Lauderdale emergency vet, we often encounter pet emergencies due to unexpected ingestions. Here, we’ll highlight five things dogs might ingest that necessitate immediate medical attention.
- Chocolate: One of the most commonly known dangerous foods for dogs is chocolate. The culprits in chocolate, theobromine, and caffeine can be highly toxic to our canine companions. Darker chocolates contain higher levels of these substances and can be more dangerous. Symptoms of chocolate ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, and seizures. If you suspect your dog has consumed chocolate, reach out to an emergency vet for dog ingestion without delay.
- Grapes and Raisins: While they might seem harmless to humans, even small amounts of grapes or raisins can lead to sudden kidney failure in dogs. It’s still unclear why this fruit is toxic to dogs, but what we do know is that the consequences can be severe. Symptoms might include vomiting, lethargy, and loss of appetite. If your dog has consumed any grapes or raisins, seek emergency care immediately.
- Xylitol: Xylitol is a sugar substitute often found in sugar-free gum, candy, and some baked goods. Even in small amounts, xylitol can be deadly to dogs. It can lead to rapid insulin release, which causes hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Symptoms may include vomiting, loss of coordination, and seizures. Always check product labels and keep items containing xylitol well out of your dog’s reach.
- Bones and Toy Pieces: While dogs love to chew on bones, certain types can splinter and cause obstructions or injuries in the digestive system. Similarly, pieces of toys or other non-food items can become lodged in the throat, stomach, or intestines. If your dog seems to be in distress after chewing on a bone or toy, has difficulty breathing, is vomiting or trying to vomit without producing anything, it’s time to seek emergency care.
- Household Cleaners and Chemicals: Many common household cleaners and chemicals, including antifreeze and rat poison, are hazardous if ingested by dogs. These chemicals can cause a range of symptoms from gastrointestinal upset to severe neurological issues, depending on the substance ingested. Always store these products in secure areas, and if you suspect your dog has consumed any, contact an emergency vet immediately.
Why Choose Family Pet Medical Center?
Here at Family Pet Medical Center, we understand the bond between you and your pet. Our dedicated team is trained to handle emergencies, including dog ingestions, with swift and compassionate care. We proudly serve the Fort Lauderdale community, and our state-of-the-art facility is equipped to address both routine and emergency veterinary needs.
If you’re faced with an emergency due to something your dog has ingested, don’t hesitate. Reach out to Family Pet Medical Center, your trusted Fort Lauderdale vet. Our expertise in handling cases of emergency vet for dog ingestion ensures that your pet will receive the best possible care. And even if you’re just looking for a regular check-up or wellness visit, we’re here to serve the needs of your beloved canine companion.
Remember, the best defense against ingestion emergencies is prevention. Keep harmful substances out of reach and be vigilant about what your dog consumes. But if the unexpected happens, know that Family Pet Medical Center is here to help.
Emergency Vet for Dog Ingestion
If you need an emergency vet or are simply in search of a trusted vet office in the Fort Lauderdale area, contact Family Pet Medical Center today at 954-567-2500.. Your pet’s health and well-being are our top priority.